Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Art of Living (Off Of Others)

Since I quit my job a few months ago, I’ve had time to think about life, my role in it, what makes me tick and all that deep stuff.
I want more out of life.Actually I want it all.Love, Respect, Money, Power. Everything.And I want it to last.
And then I had an epiphany. Voila! I know what I need to do. I’m going to become a Guru. I’ll follow the trail blazed by the likes of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (RS to keep it real)

Lets rewind a little bit. Year: 2003, Place: San Jose,CA. In a moment of weakness, I shelled out $100 for the Art of Living (AOL) basic course. I landed up at the class and was met by some slow AOLers. I don’t mean slow in the head but slow in the way they were gliding across the hallways, looking unnaturally calm and serene. But as soon as they realized that I was here to pay for the course, there was a flurry of activity and before I knew it I was already feeling lighter ;) The place was full; it seemed like the whole of Silicon Valley was there. A big picture frame of RS was strategically placed near the stage, and a few minutes later a lady in white appeared – the AOL teacher.She looked radiant and captivating in her white salwar kameez – that is until she spoke and revealed that she did indeed have feet of clay. What a disaster! Need parking space – pray to RS. Need to be saved while riding a water scooter in Goa – pray to RS. From parking space to saving a life RS can do it all. But of course you need his ‘blessings’ (read moolah).I looked around the room during this inane talk – I saw heads nodding all over. It seemed like the whole of the Valley was bowing its head to RS in complete acceptance. No questions asked! It was sad and comical at the same time. These were the crème de la crème of the tech world, the educated class, the scientifically inclined. These were my people! I saw them changing in front of my eyes. It was like watching a sci fi movie –smart, educated, yuppies getting converted into zombies! It was one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen.

Fast forward to 2009
- I am excited. My checklist is ready.

  • The Art of Clients: Number of rich, educated, yuppies looking for a new guru/ ready to convert to a new one. Millions! - Check.
  • The Art of Investment: A few well meaning friends and family and the power of social networking. Check.
  • The Art of Qualification: Be like RS. No message, no spirituality, no intellectually stimulating discussions. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Nihilism? Hmmm. Check

This is a fool proof plan and it’s going to work like a charm :) I am ready to jump on the ‘guru’ bandwagon and look forward to my first million.
Watch out for my new foundation ALOO! Ah. The Art of Living Off of Others !

No comments:

Post a Comment